I try to keep track of new job hires related to forests and forestry at DNR/L&F/NRR, as its one of the few public signals of what’s going on in that department. Once hired, we (the public) generally never hear about the appointee again. We don’t know who is hired, what they do or what they have accomplished in the year past. A year ago there was an advert for this appointee’s immediate boss, the Manager, Forest Management Planning – view NSFN Post Nov 12, 2020; that post also lists some of the other job adverts in last couple of years.
Extracts from the advertisement on jobs.novascotia.com
Competition # : 32717
Department: Natural Resources & Renewables
Type of Employment: Permanent
Union Status: NSGEU – NSPG
Closing Date: 11/23/2021 (Applications are accepted until 11:59 PM Atlantic Time)
About Our Opportunity
As the Forest Modeling Specialist, you will provide modelling expertise and leadership in the area of Strategic and Tactical level forest modeling in the development and maintenance of an integrated suite of forest modelling and management planning tools.
In this role you will report to the Manager, Forest Management Planning.
Some of the primary accountabilities of this role include:
– Leading development and implementation of provincial modelling initiatives in support of provincial policy and strategic development.
– Leading development/maintenance of provincial wood flow model to link Strategic/Tactical Forest models with high level industrial utilization and capacity modeling.
– Making recommendations on procedural adjustments and research focus to improve resource analysis capabilities, preparing ministerial briefing notes, and preparing documentation outlining resource issues related to analysis findings.
– Facilitating the development of new and useful approaches to analysis and modelling of the resource data by evaluating current practices and procedures and recommending changes.
– Assisting in the maintenance and updating of several key forest modelling information databases.
– Providing advice to department staff on technical matters relating to forest modelling databases, and their use in resource management.
Qualifications and Experience
This may be the right opportunity for you if you have a Bachelor of Science in Forestry along with 6 years of related experience or a Master’s degree in Forestry along with 4 years or related experience.
As the ideal candidate you have experience in developing and maintaining tactical level forest modelling systems. You possess detailed knowledge of:
– Forest resource analysis tools and databases and their use in forest management planning.
– Spatial forest modelling tools (Spatial Planning Systems, Remsoft, Esri) and their application in tactical-level forest modelling.
– Forest dynamics, forest management systems, hierarchical management in the context of forest modelling to provide expert advice to diverse stakeholders including senior staff of government.
– Forest economics, forest policy assessment, forest carbon, climate change from a forest modelling perspective.